Thursday, July 10, 2008

Exercises for Sustainable Happiness

When Aymee discovered positive psychology in college, she set out to unlock the secret to lasting joy. Now an accredited happiness expert, she's made a career out of making people smile.


Aymee's Story

"I was at a pivotal moment in college where I was figuring out what to do with my life, and I realized that I just wanted to help people be happy."
In my adolescence I was social butterfly. I liked to have fun, played sports, went to school and had a lot of friends. It wasn't really until my 20s when the real hardship struck. I was fat, ugly, poor and divorced, and I knew that there was no way that I could help anyone be happy unless I was happy myself. Over the course of the last ten years, through these hardships and through studying positive psychology in school, I figured out how to bring lasting happiness into my life and the lives of others.

"What I care about is sustainable happiness, which comes from having purpose and meaning in life."

Everyone has gone through an experience of fleeting happiness - something you feel when you receive flowers from a secret admirer. I don't focus on that too much because it doesn't last. In sustainable happiness, people focus on and utilize their strengths. They explore the spiritual side of their happiness by achieving a higher level of consciousness. I've made it my mission to teach people how to create sustainable happiness in their lives by doing happiness exercises.

Exercise 1: Take responsibility for your own happiness.
No one is going to make you happy. You have to do it for yourself. You have to choose to let things go and to choose to find neutral ground. If you're just sitting there thinking about all of your problems, you won't be happy. Problems don't lead to happiness, believe it or not.

Exercise 2: Express gratitude for what you have.
Write down five or ten things that you are really grateful for every day. We always have things to be grateful for - our arms, our legs, our eyes, our teeth, the air that we breathe, our family, our friends, the house that we live in. The list goes on and on, so I don't want to hear any excuses.

Exercise 3: Practice random acts of kindness.
Practice five random acts of kindness a day. It can be something as simple as telling your coworker, "That outfit looks good on you." People just want to smile, they just want us to be good to them. There's actually a random acts of kindness foundation where you can learn different types of things you can do daily. If you do this every day for a month, I'm telling you your life is going to change. Mine did.

Exercise 4: Smile.
There is one crucial element to happiness, and you cannot achieve happiness without this element. If you take the corners of your mouth and you put them toward your cheek bones, are you happier? Our smile is the best happiness tool we have because it's a way to make other people happy without saying a word. When in doubt, just smile.

Because I explored the secrets behind holding onto happiness, I now have better health, better relationships and more success than I ever did before.(Aymee: happiness.com)

No comments: